My wife and how we met

My wife is Alokananda Kumar. Yes, it has resemblance to my name. Aloke and Alokananda. Aloke means the source of light , the sun. Alokananda is the feminine and also the name of a meandering river in North India. She is also called Paula. Very British , but not so up-tight.She is a poet in her own right and has published work. Ours is a love marriage. We 'met' over phone. I worked in a newspaper in Calcutta . The Telegraph. She called up for some help. This was the begining. We started talking over phone. This went on for a very long time. I did not want to meet. I thought this was very romantic. Talking over phone ...for hours with someone ....endlessly and sometimes through the whole night was really text-book romance.This went on for a very long time. She wrote poems and we discussed. She told me that she felt confined in her house and this was an opportunity of expression.Sometimes I shared the headlines of the next days paper to which I was privy too. And while we talked till wee hours in the morning , the newspaper reached her door and there it was ....something we were just discussing. No I was not a reporter. I was in Newspaper Management and looked after the viability of the publications.

To be very frank why give up all this ........so very out of the world and trade it with reality.Alas this did not last long......around a year. She would not listen to my reasons......we met.This later became the theme of a film in Bengali by the famous film director , Mrinal Sen....named Antareen(The Confined). In the film they did not meet but crossed path in the end without knowing each other.As I told you, We met...and that was the begining of a very romantic and unique relation.

The photograph here is from the film 'Antareen'(The Confined).The Actress is Dimple Kapadia.